Thursday, July 31, 2008

Avocado sauce

I finally got my first gift from my garden this season. Today, I picked my first serrano chiles. Since I found California avocados at my local Marcs store for $1.00 each, I decided to make a very simple sauce that has become a staple around my house because it's so versatile. All it is, is a simple puree of avocados (2), cilantro (a large fist full), the zest and juice from one lime, salt, as many serrano chiles as you can stand (I used three, seeds and all) and enough water to make it the consistency you want. Just puree everything in a blender. It's a great topping for tacos, nachos and the like but I've also used it as a salad dressing, a dip, with fish and many other things.



A quick note on storing this, guacamole or other avocado based things. It is always best to prepare these things as close to serving time as possible but when you have to make it ahead here is the best way I have found to stop the avocados from oxidizing. Store the product in a heavy zip-lock type bag and squeeze out all of the air. If possible, set the bag in a bowl of ice water. The combonation of cold, a lack of oxygen and plenty of acid (lime juice) should keep it fresh and green for a day or two. I've also had luck putting this sauce in a squeeze bottle filled to the absolute top and kept cold.



Not a great picture but still a delicious sauce.

No comments: